Tag Archives: macroanalysis

Visualizing Networks of Anglo-Saxon Apocrypha

A while back, I had a twitter conversation about using network visualization tools online for studying the connections between medieval texts and manuscripts. After this exchange, I figured that others might be interested in seeing some of my work and, more specifically, how I went about it. My main interests in network visualizations so far […]

Source Study in a Digital Age

Like many other medievalists, this past weekend I attended the International Congress on Medieval Studies at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo. While there, I was privileged to present on a special session titled “Source Study: A Retrospective,” sponsored by the Sources of Anglo-Saxon Culture (my thanks to Ben Weber for organizing and for including me). I was […]

“Lost Children” Texts: Returning to the Archive in the “Google Books Era”

I’ve been reading Matthew L. Jockers’s recent book, Macroanalysis: Digital Methods and Literary History (Urbana, IL: U of Illinois P, 2013), and I find it to be a compelling example of asking and exploring significant questions in digital humanities. One thing that Jockers mentioned–and my reaction to it–has been on my mind for the last few days: […]

Some Text Mining Results (on Judith blog)

I’ve been spending some of my time recently running text mining analyses for my project, “Studying Judith in Anglo-Saxon England.” I’ve posted preliminary results and some commentary on them on the project blog.