Category Digital Humanities

What Would I Say: Social Media Poetics

I have a feeling I’m already behind the trend (with the high pace of digital culture, that’s often the case), but for the past week or so I’ve been mulling over the newly emerged social app called What Would I Say. In short, the online application accesses a user’s past activity on Facebook and generates […]

Digital Culture and Liberal Arts

I was recently prompted (for an application) to write “a statement articulating the role of the digital arts, media, and technology for informing and positioning traditional liberal arts disciplines for success in the 21st century.” I didn’t have such a statement on hand, and spent several days working on it. Over the past few years, I’ve written […]

Judith Project Phase 1 Launched

Today, I officially launched phase one of this project: the Omeka archive (constellation) of texts, hosted by the University of Connecticut Scholars’ Collaborative. View it by clicking on that link, or read more about it and future goals of the project on the development blog.

DH Values Statement Planning

Several weeks ago, I was reading Lisa Spiro’s contribution to Debates in the Digital Humanities, “‘This Is Why We Fight’: Defining the Values of the Digital Humanities,” and thought she raised some great points for launching further discussion and reflecting on some DH values. I wondered what had come of her call to the wider DH […]

“Lost Children” Texts: Returning to the Archive in the “Google Books Era”

I’ve been reading Matthew L. Jockers’s recent book, Macroanalysis: Digital Methods and Literary History (Urbana, IL: U of Illinois P, 2013), and I find it to be a compelling example of asking and exploring significant questions in digital humanities. One thing that Jockers mentioned–and my reaction to it–has been on my mind for the last few days: […]

Some Text Mining Results (on Judith blog)

I’ve been spending some of my time recently running text mining analyses for my project, “Studying Judith in Anglo-Saxon England.” I’ve posted preliminary results and some commentary on them on the project blog.